The chances are you've paid too much in tax through the PAYE system — on either your wages or pensions. This means the government could owe you money. Here's how to get your money back.


Every day, UK workers travel to and from work and spend their hard-earned money on work expenses — without even knowing it. The result is that, every year, hundreds of millions of pounds’ worth of unclaimed tax money sits around in HMRC’s pockets, completely untouched. In fact, an estimated £200 million is unclaimed every year in travel expenses alone.

An estimated 1 in 3 UK workers is eligible for a PAYE tax refund. That is YOUR money, and you are entitled to it. But claiming tax expenses on your own can be very complicated, time-consuming and boring.

That’s what we are here for. Our PAYE tax rebate experts will study your taxes carefully and professionally. We know all the tricks that HMRC discourages the average UK worker from knowing about. And we use this knowledge to claim back more entitlements than you might realise.

And if we look into your taxes and find you aren’t eligible for a PAYE tax return, then we won’t charge you a penny! Our work is squarely “no refund, no fee”.

You can claim back on things like:

Travelling To & From Work


Subscriptions and memberships

Food eaten at work

Our customers get on average, a PAYE tax return of £3000. It only takes 5 minutes. With our "no refund, no fee" policy, we can check to see if you're owed any money for FREE.


Find out how much PAYE tax you could be owed with our PAYE tax rebate calculator. This way you can quickly estimate your PAYE tax return quickly and easily online.

Got any questions about your PAYE Tax Refund calculator estimates? get in touch with our expert team today to discuss how we can help you.



Find out what our clients had to say about claiming back their tax refund.

Omar T
Omar T
14:15 30 Apr 21
After being recommended this service by a close friend of mine, I must say I was very pleased with everything overall. The app was very easy to set up and extremely user friendly. It made loading information about wage slips, p60s etc very simple. Once I had submitted all my information, the contact between myself and my account Emily, was prompt, very swift, thorough and she was extremely professional throughout. Any concerns or queries I had, she answered in a way where I could understand procedures and the process step by step which made everything effortless for me. So thank you very much your work and communications, they were very much appreciated and I have already informed two people who are now registered with Tommy’s Tax because of the great service I’ve had.
andre claude
andre claude
16:59 29 Apr 21
Absolutely fantastic could not believe how easy it was to get my money. They are by far the best company and customer service i have ever received. There were replying to messages at all hours. Fantastic
Michael Fenn
Michael Fenn
16:34 22 Apr 21
3 years worth of tax now and not had one single problem. Had Laura complete all 3 years now and again not one fault, very understanding if you’re like me and not very clued up with everything regarding your figures. Very helpful and gives very quick responses. Always feel in safe hands when Laura is handling my rebate figures. Would highly recommend 👍🏻
Sarah Ripley
Sarah Ripley
14:03 15 Apr 21
Used Tommy's Tax after a recommendation. My case was assigned to Georgia. Georgia was really patient and was able to answer all of my questions efficiently. She kept me regularly updated throughout and made the entire process really easy and straightforward. Overall I'm extremely pleased with the service.Highly recommend. 10/10.
Chris Mann
Chris Mann
16:45 09 Apr 21
Wouldn’t of known where to start with my taxes. Tommy’s tax made it so easy to upload the documents needed. And was quick and efficient. Would highly recommend this service to everyone.
Jordan Mcbride
Jordan Mcbride
09:18 09 Apr 21
Tommy's tax are brilliant! They do everything for you and keep you up to date with how proceedings are going along.You get assigned your own agent who personally deals with your case. My agent in this case was Gemma who was extremely helpful and was always on hand whenever I needed help or was asking her a question. Overall well pleased with my experience so far and will continue using Tommy's tax for the foreseeable.
Bobby Corbett
Bobby Corbett
03:07 08 Apr 21
I would give 6 stars if I could as they were absolutely perfect to work with.Got my rebate the fastest I’ve ever had it so I’m well impressed thank you
Hayley Ives
Hayley Ives
14:22 02 Mar 21
I decided to go with Tommy’s Tax because I had no idea how to do this myself. A lovely lady called Georgia was super patient with me and answered all my questions and explained what I had to do. I had no idea I was eligible to apply and have had a great financial rebate that will make a big difference in these times. Thanks Tommy Tax, Thanks Georgia
Eye Wano
Eye Wano
11:36 01 Mar 21
It was quick, easy and surprising! I didn't expect to get even half the amount of money I received! Laura, the tax assistant assigned to my file was great. Very quick to respond, helpful and very knowledgeable. Thanks Laura!
Scott Stubley
Scott Stubley
14:26 17 Feb 21
I heard about Tommy's Tax through a friend at work and they were fantastic. A tax rebate through an easy to use app is how it should have always been! Full credit to Laura who worked on my case and was on constant communication and helped with everything I needed. I already have a few friends/family in the process after seeing how easy it was for me.
Nancy Fernandes
Nancy Fernandes
20:01 12 Feb 21
My advisor Laura was very helpful. Had all my processes done hassle free. Thanks Laura. Answer to my questions handled in a appropriate way.
Craig Ripley
Craig Ripley
13:59 02 Dec 20
Decided to use Tommy's Tax after it was recommended by a friend. My case was assigned to Georgia, who was very helpful, knew everything I needed to do, and made the whole process really easy. I now have a nice little lump sum to come in handy for Christmas! Thanks Georgia.
Rose _
Rose _
20:57 25 Nov 20
I used Tommy’s Tax and Laura was assigned to me. She was efficient and professional. She was right with everything she said from start to finish. My money ended up coming even earlier than I expected. I’m more than happy to use her and Tommy’s Tax again.Thank you.
Hayley Powell
Hayley Powell
09:37 18 Nov 20
My friend told me about Tommys Tax app at the beginning of the month. I haven't been disappointed in the slightest. I was assigned Laura to manage my personal Tax account, she's been quick, efficient and communicated through out the process. Received a text yesterday saying Money has come in and will be debited into my account within 48hours, amazing service, over the moon to receive my refund and can't thank Laura and the rest of the team at Tommys Tax.Brilliant experience.
sanjidha baksh
sanjidha baksh
08:25 11 Nov 20
Tommy’s Tax honestly is brilliant. Very supportive and concise with instructions. The whole process took about 2 weeks. Tommy sent screenshots of the information I had to input into the app and Charmaine was always on hand answering my questions and queries. I have received my funds and it’s gone straight into my savings. Also, the great thing is £50 for referrals. I have lots of friends that I am now referring so that will be extra bits of money I can make on top of the significant amount I received for my Tax refund. Great service! Would absolutely recommend 🙂
Mark Page
Mark Page
13:48 12 Sep 20
Great service, was dubious at first but from start to finish had great help from Charmaine and others at Tommy's Tax.Highly recommended
Next Reviews


Here at Tommy’s Tax we strive to provide the very best experience for each and every one of our clients. During our time within the industry we’re proud to say we’ve been published in a number of top publications offering tips and advice.


If you work in the UK, the chances are you pay tax through the government’s Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax scheme.

When you take up employment, HMRC provides you with a tax code. Your employer then uses this code to figure out how much tax you should pay on top of the money you receive for working.

This tax money is then deducted from your pay and sent to HMRC. Most people don’t tend to think too much about their tax payments after this. But a lot of people out there — including possibly yourself — could have an improper tax code, or could be owed a PAYE tax return on your expenses.

Most people under the PAYE scheme don’t need a UTR number. But some do. Especially if they have other sources of income (such as rent). If you would like to know more about them — or need help identifying yours, we can help. Visit our dedicated UTR number page for more information.


The chances are as a UK worker, you are already enlisted in the Pay As You Earn system. In that case, you should receive the following documents at some point during your time working:

You should receive a p60 certificate from your employer at the end of each tax year. The main point of this document is to show how much you’ve earned and how much tax you’ve paid over the last tax year.

If you leave a PAYE job for whatever reason, your employer should give you a p45 document. They are important to keep ahold of, and are especially handy when claiming a PAYE tax refund – because they show exactly how much tax you’ve paid during part of the tax year.

Not everybody will have a p11D. They are normally reserved for workers with extra company “benefits” such as company cars and health cover. If you have some benefits like this, your employer should document them on a p11D.

If you don’t work in the PAYE system, then it’s very likely that you are either self-employed or work under the Construction industry Scheme (CIS) tax plan. For more information about the CIS tax system, visit our dedicated CIS Tax Return page.



If you don’t work in the PAYE system, then it’s very likely that you are either self-employed or work under the Construction industry Scheme (CIS) tax plan. For more information about the CIS tax system, visit our dedicated CIS Tax Return page.


Sometimes HMRC will realise on its own that it has over or undercharged you in tax. In those cases, you may get a tax refund without having to do anything. This is simply known as a HMRC p800 tax refund.

A p800 is a tax calculation form that the HMRC uses to tell if you’ve paid the right (or wrong) amount in tax. Sometimes — if you’ve underpaid — they will take action to get the extra tax money from you.

If you think you have paid too much in tax and have not received a tax refund p800, then you can write to HMRC to clear things up. We can also chase this up on your behalf. You can even claim a p800 tax rebate back from previous tax years.

p800 forms are usually sent out between June and October after the end of the tax year. Once you have your tax p800 refund form, it is very important to make sure all the information HMRC has on you is accurate, in order for them to calculate your tax correctly.

If HMRC owes you a p800 tax return, they will normally send a cheque within 60-days of the date on your p800. But you can claim your money back faster than this online, via the HMRC website.



Getting an automatic p800 tax refund sounds great and all — but HMRC may still be underpaying you. That is, they may owe you even more money that you’re entitled to. That’s because HMRC can only refund overpayments that they know about. A lot of people unnecessarily spend their own hard-earned money on work expenses, among other things — not knowing they are entitled to some of that money back.

To get all the money back that you are owed, you’ll need to carefully study your outgoings, and research what you may be able to claim back — and then submit them to HMRC manually. Or, one of our professional tax experts can do this for you, quickly and easily. A lot of the time, our experts pick up on things that our customers may have missed. Earning them back more money.


Sorting out your own PAYE tax return is often time-consuming, boring and hard to do. And because lots of people don’t really know how to do it, they still end up getting underpaid by the taxman. Our PAYE experts won’t let you get short-changed. We will closely study all of your tax details, in order to get you back the maximum claim you’re entitled to.

Remember this is the money that you have earned and that you deserve. Don’t let it sit around at HMRC when it could be in your pockets.

For more information on some of the tax rebates you may be entitled to, check out our mileage allowance relief and our uniform tax rebate service pages. 


TOMMYS TAX APP - ALL IN ONE PLACE FOR YOUR TAX REFUND Tommys Tax App is a revolutionary free app which enables you to claim a tax refund in 1 user-friendly place


Your PAYE tax is calculated on how much you earn and how much personal allowance you have. Your personal allowance is the amount you can earn tax-free each tax year. For the tax year period of 2020-21, personal allowance is set at £12,500. That means you can earn up to that amount before being taxed. Not everyone is eligible for personal allowance, however.

At Tommy’s Tax, our average payout time for tax refunds is 7 — 10 days. But the process can take anywhere from 5 days to 8 weeks. A number of factors all contribute to the big differences in the time it takes. Such as whether you applied online or by post, and whether HMRC will make extra security checks on your refund.

Yes. If you have paid for something medical that isn’t free on the NHS, then you may be able to claim some tax relief on those expenses. You can also claim tax back on the money you pay for general health and long-term care insurance.

If you find you haven’t been paying enough tax — and actually owe the taxman money, then usually this is the fault of your employer. In a lot of cases, they may have mistakenly or accidentally used a different (wrong) tax code to the one given to them by HMRC.